Saturday, December 1, 2007
Afraid of gaining those extra holiday pounds? Here are just a few things you can avoid that will help you stay the same size throughout the holiday season.
1) DON'T skip your workout.
* We know it's busy, but you need to take the time to work out this time of year more than ever. Make a workout buddy, abd hold each other accountable. Maybe mix up your routine to avoid bordom - try a new class, give yourself a gift of a few personal training sessions, etc.
2) DON'T skip breakfast.
* Thinking of the night's holiday party or the afternoon gathering at work, many people will skip breakfast as an attempt cut calories. WRONG! Eating a healthy breakfast (oatmeal, egg white omlet with fresh veggies, whole wheat toast and low fat yogurt) at the beginning of the day starts your metabolism and will prevent you from overeating later in the day. Those who consistently eat breakfast consistently weigh less than those who skip the most important meal of the day.
3) DON'T eat only fat and carbs.
* Most Christmas goodies (gingerbread cookies, candy canes, hot chocolate, etc.) are full of refined sugars and unhealthy fats. These are also the nutrients that make you feel even more hungry than before you ate something! Before you have any treats, fill up with lean protein to help control cravings.
4) DON'T eat straight from a bowl.
* When you get to those holiday gatherings, take the time to put everything that you eat on a plate. If you nibble straight from the dish, you will misjudge portion size and be in trouble before you know it! Try and fill your plate with veggies and lean protein, and only allow a small place on the place for treats. **As an additional tip, try using the dessert plate instead of the dinner plate. It's smaller, and it will help you with portion control!**
5) DON'T eat treats that you like.
* Only splurge for those treats that you love. If you just like them, you don't need them.
6) DON'T avoid the scale.
* Weigh in regularly this month so you can see how you're doing. If you prefer to monitor a different way, get your favorite pair of pants that make you feel slim and fit. Try them on every morning to see how they fit. You've got to hold yourself accountable somehow!
7) DON'T go to a party hungry.
* The worst thing you can do is arrive at a party famished! Because you know there will be LOTS of unhealthy options, and very few items that fit into your nutrition plan. Try eating a bowl of broth-based soup or a salad before you go. That way, you already have some healthy nutrients in you, and you've knocked the hunger edge off so you don't devour every cookie in sight.
8) DON'T eat the whole thing.
* Most of the time, you can satisfy a craving with just a few bites. Instead of eating a whole piece of pie, split a piece with your date.
9) DON'T eat for speed.
* Slow down your eating, and savor every bite. You don't indulge every day. Take the time to enjoy it! Plus, the longer you take, the longer your stomach has to realize that you're full, and you can avoid overeating.
10) DON'T beat yourself up if you mess up one time.
* If you go to a party and overeat, don't use that as an excuse to let yourself go for the whole season. Get up the next day, go to the gym, and vow to stick to your diet better. No one expects you to be perfect!